Summer is in full swing, which means more sun, fun, and a bounty of fresh, colorful produce to choose from. If you head over to your local farmer’s market or chain grocer, you’re sure to find an abundance of in season fruits and vegetables right now. Not only is there a larger variety of produce, but prices are likely to be significantly lower thanks to plentiful harvests.
The past several weeks have been cherries galore on sale, which is why my last post, Easy Cherry Upside-Down Cake, happened to feature them. This week it was BOGO raspberries and peaches. When I see great deals like these I can’t pass them up. I usually have no idea what to do with the ingredients at the time but I figure it out later. That was the case with this recipe. I had a bunch of peaches and raspberries with little time to myself to make anything. I needed something quick, easy, and would leave the fruit as the star of the show. This summer fruit galette was the answer.
What I love about this rustic dessert is the peaches and raspberries get to stand center stage. Usually in a pie it’s all crust and the fruit gets lost in between. With a galette, the fruit is showcased beautifully and the preparation couldn’t be easier. My 5 year old and one year old daughters even had a blast helping prepare this so if there is a rainy day or your kids love to bake, spend time together as a family making this galette. Oh and did I mention clean up is a breeze. I can count the amount of dishes I had on one hand which makes for an even happier baking experience. So the next time you see a bunch of summer fruit on sale, don’t hesitate to grab it and whip up this easy fruit galette for a quick dessert to accompany dinner or your next summer cookout!
Summer Fruit Galette
- 1 roll Refrigerated Pie Crust (2 rolls per box)
- 1 pound Peaches; pitted, halved, & sliced into ½ in. wedges
- 6 oz. Raspberries
- 1/3 cup Sugar plus 1 tsp.; divided
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 2 tsp. Fat-Free Milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13 inch circle. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine peaches, raspberries, 1/3 cup sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Mix well.
- Mound filling in center of prepared crust, leaving a 3 inch border. Fold edge of dough up and over filling, pleating as necessary. Brush edge of dough with milk and sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar.
- Bake galette until filling is tender and crust is browned, approximately 35-40 minutes. Slide galette (with parchment paper) onto a wire rack to cool. Cut into wedges and serve.