Summer means school’s out, barbeques light up, and ample time is spent outdoors enjoying the fantastic weather. With longer days and warmer temps, entertaining becomes easier and sometimes unexpected if people decide to drop over. If you’re ever looking for a dessert that’s quick to prepare for last minute summer get togethers or easy enough to make and take for a picnic, look no further than this delicious cake.
Featuring in season cherries, you’ll get a taste of summer bursting through every bite. I make this with my favorite organic cake mix, Miss Jones, for convenience, however you can also make it with your own homemade cake recipe if you have more time. Dark, sweet cherries taste best, however you can use any variety of cherry available to you or even mix and match. The juices released from the cherries make for a moist, flavorful, and easy cake!
NOTE: Fresh or frozen cherries can be used in this recipe. If using frozen cherries, be sure to thoroughly thaw and drain the cherries before proceeding with the recipe as directed.
Easy Cherry Upside-Down Cake
- 2 tbsp. Unsalted Butter; melted
- 1/3 cup packed Light Brown Sugar
- 4 cups pitted fresh Bing Cherries
- 1 box Vanilla Cake Mix
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place butter in a 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Place pan in oven until butter is melted. Remove from oven and swirl melted butter around pan to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter. Arrange cherries in a single layer over brown sugar. Set pan aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour prepared batter into pan. Spread batter evenly over cherries.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Loosen cake from edges of pan with a knife and then invert cake onto a serving platter or sheet pan. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
PHOTOGRAPHY & STAGING: PETER MENDOROS
ALL REMAINING CONTENT © HONEYBEES PATISSERIE 2018
One thought on “Easy Cherry Upside-Down Cake”