Pumpkin, Pecan, Apple, & Cinnamon…all iconic flavors of Fall. Two of the sweetest (and my personal favorite) flavors can be found right here in this easy German apple cake (Apfelkuchen). The classic combination of sweet apples and spicy cinnamon makes for a simple yet pleasing post dinner treat or Oktoberfest dessert!
- 3 Apples; peeled, cored, & sliced
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Sugar; divided
- ½ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Salt; divided
- 6.75 oz (1 ½ cups) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ½ cup (1 Stick) Unsalted Butter; softened & divided
- 3 oz. Cream Cheese; softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 cup nonfat Buttermilk
- ½ cup Chopped Walnuts; toasted
- ¼ cup Apple Jelly
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13×9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine apples and lemon juice and toss together. Add ¼ cup sugar, cinnamon, and ¼ tsp. salt, tossing again to combine.
- In a large bowl combine flour, the remaining ¼ tsp. salt, and baking powder. Place remaining ¾ cup sugar, 6 tbsp. butter, and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat mixture at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in the vanilla. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until just combined. Gently stir in the walnuts.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking pan. Arrange apples over batter. Melt remaining 2 tbsp. butter and brush over apples. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until set.
- Microwave apple jelly for 30 seconds or until melted, stirring once. Brush jelly over apples and cool. Cut into squares and serve.