We still have a few more weeks of winter before we officially hit spring despite many places across the country experiencing milder temperatures than usual. For many across the nation, winter is a time when it is harder to find fresh, in season produce to utilize. Citrus is currently one of the select finds currently in season across the nation and in abundance this time of year. If you find yourself with a lot of citrus and want to experiment with something new than this recipe is just for you.
Some of you may look at this and be confused thinking it is more like a citrus curd and not a pudding, but I assure you it is indeed a pudding. This pudding uses cornstarch as a thickener and a curd does not use cornstarch. If you begin eating this with the mindset of a traditional pudding you will probably be a little shocked. It is tart so be warned. Don’t be tempted to add more sugar. If you want it to be a little tamer than I suggest cutting back on the orange zest by ¼ tsp. If you are looking for a different type of light dessert that is inexpensive and easy to prepare than give this recipe a go. It surely will not disappoint!
Skinny Citrus Pudding
- 3 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Grated Orange Zest
- 1 cup Fresh Orange Juice
- 1 cup Tangerine Juice
- 3 tbsp. Cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Unsalted Butter
- ¼ cup Heavy Whipping Cream; divided
- Mint; optional
- Combine the sugar and orange zest in a small saucepan; crush with spatula or a wooden spoon to excrete oils of zest into sugar (sugar will turn yellowish-orange in color).
- Stir in the tangerine juice, orange juice, cornstarch, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and butter. Pour the pudding into a bowl; cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap and chill.
- Place cream in bowl and beat with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold half of the cream into the pudding.
- To serve: Spoon ½ cup pudding into dessert bowls or glasses. Top each serving with 1 tbsp. of whipped cream and a sprig of mint (if desired).
(½ cup pudding & 1 tbsp. cream)
Weight Watchers: 9 Smart Points, 5 Points Plus, or 4 Traditional Points