While on the trail for unique or more grown-up versions of the traditional plain Rice Krispie Treat, I stumbled across this little variation inspired by a delicious sundae flavor I love… Turtle. What I love about this formula is not just the taste but that the preparation still stays relatively simple like everyone relies on Rice Krispie Treats to be when they need a go to treat on the fly. Practically the hardest part of this rendition is having the patience to unwrap all the little caramel candies!!! With the flavors of Chocolate, Caramel, and Pecans in a beloved childhood treat, what could really go wrong about this… absolutely nothing 😉
Now the original version of Turtle Treats I stumbled on uses Cocoa Krispies cereal rather than regular. You can surely do this and it does save time but I prefer melting chocolate with the marshmallows as it gives it a much richer flavor. If of course you are really in a pinch for something then go ahead and use the Cocoa Krispies as an efficient substitution to the chocolate. Of course if you wanted a double chocolate flavor you could melt chocolate with the marshmallows and use Cocoa Krispie cereal. I personally did not choose to do this for fear it may overpower the caramel flavor but I certainly can recommend any chocoholic’s out there to try it.
Turtle Rice Krispie Treats
- 5 tbsp. Butter
- 1 ½ bags (15 oz.) Marshmallows
- ¾ cup Dark Chocolate Chips (can substitute Semi-Sweet)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 7 ½ cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 25 Soft Caramel Candies, quartered
- 1 cup Toasted Pecans, chopped
- Caramel Sauce (Optional)
- Grease a 13×9 in. baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. Melt butter in a large pot over low heat. Add the marshmallows, chocolate chips, and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until melted and smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the caramels and pecans until evenly distributed. Add the Rice Krispies cereal and mix until well incorporated. Scrape the mixture evenly into the prepared pan set aside earlier and press firmly into the bottom and corners with a greased rubber spatula. Allow to cool completely, approximately 1 hour.
- *Optional: You may purchase a caramel sauce or make your own (Use the remaining caramels from the bag you purchased along with enough milk to cover the caramels about halfway. Melt in the microwave stirring every 15 seconds until smooth and creamy. If needed, add more milk to create a creamy smooth texture). Drizzle the caramel over the cooled Turtle Treats. Allow caramel to cool and set, about 15 minutes. Cut treats into squares and serve.
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
PETER MENDOROS – PHOTOGRAPHY
RECIPE ADAPTED FROM JEREMY SAUER