The month of September has just begun and with it comes the harsh realization that summer is quickly coming to a close for another year. If you are a parent, it is likely your child has returned back to school, which means more time is likely to be spent at after school practices, events, or simply helping your kids with homework. With schedules much busier, it makes it even more important to have healthy breakfast or snack options on hand.
Although most of the country is jumping for joy at the introduction of all things fall flavored, I, on the other hand, am just not ready to dive in to everything pumpkin and apple. Sure, fall is my favorite season, thanks to all of the delicious flavors, but with it still being in the 90’s here in Florida, it is hard to let go of summer so easily. Since I still had a few peaches to use up and some raspberries I froze at peak season, I used this week’s meal prep to celebrate some great summer flavors one final time. Raspberries and peaches are favorites of mine during the summer months, so it was only natural that I would love a snack that contained both.
When deciding what to make as a base for these two flavors, I quickly narrowed it down to my two favorite meal prep options, muffins and bars. I usually prep one of the two each week as both are great grab & go options. I ultimately elected to prepare a bar, as I felt it would better showcase the beautiful fruit contained within. Bursting with beautiful red raspberries and diced peaches, these bars will make the perfect addition to your meal plan as a quick breakfast, afternoon snack, or dessert.
Almond Raspberry Peach Bars
(Yield: 8 Bars)
- ¾ cup White Whole-Wheat Flour
- ½ cup Ground Almond Flour or Almond Meal
- ¼ cup Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 large Egg
- 1½ cups Whole Buttermilk
- 3 tbsp. Evaporated Cane Juice (Sucanat)
- 1 tsp. Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Raspberries; mashed
- ½ cup diced Peaches
- 2 tbsp. Slivered Almonds or Pecans; toasted & chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 7 x 11 inch glass baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole-wheat flour, almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. Stir in buttermilk, evaporated cane juice, lemon zest, and vanilla. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the raspberries and peaches.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with almonds or pecans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the bars to cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into 8 bars and serve.
Nutrients Per Serving: 1 Bar
Calories: 201, Protein: 6 g.,
Total Fat: 11 g., Sat. Fat: 2 g.,
Fiber: 5 g., Sodium: 286 mg.,
Sugars: 10 g., Carbs: 22 g.,
Cholesterol: 28 mg