Recently I had a few blackened bananas on the verge of needing disposal before they rotted completely. I usually turn to making banana bread when this happens but I felt like trying something new. I hadn’t made a cake in awhile so I thought this would be a good fit for some bananas that would otherwise go to waste. Although technically cake, it is more specifically a loaf cake. Loaf cakes hold up well when sliced compared to regular cake, which makes this banana snack cake perfect for packing in lunches or eating a slice on the go for breakfast.
Whether you enjoy this cake for dessert, a snack, or a stand in for breakfast it is a light and healthier option that even kids can enjoy. Packed with potassium-rich bananas, olive oil, low-fat Greek yogurt, and only 1/3 cup of added sugar, you can rest assured this cake will taste indulgent without breaking your healthy lifestyle. As an added bonus this cake is really easy to prepare…even if you have some little kitchen helpers like myself! Enjoy!
Easy Banana Snack Cake
- 6.75 oz. (1 ½ cups) Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Plain Low-fat Greek Yogurt
- ¾ cup Mashed Ripe Banana (about 2 whole)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg; lightly beaten
- ¼ cup Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 9-inch square metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk mixture until well combined. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Combine yogurt, banana, oil, vanilla, and egg in a small bowl; stir until well blended. Add yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Add the walnuts and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan 10 minutes on a wire rack then remove from the pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Serve (approximately 8 servings).
There’s nothing better than finding really old bananas, just as an excuse to make banana cake! This looks great, and super portable for easy snackage. Thanks for sharing!